Chicago The Band Fan Forum

The official community for fans of the legendary rock band with horns.

http://songhall.org/news/entry/songwriters_hall_of_fame_2017_nomine...

THE 2017 SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME NOMINEES

01. Peter Cetera / Robert Lamm / James Pankow (Chicago)
02. Robert “Kool” Bell / Ronald Bell / George Brown (Kool & The Gang)
03. Sylvester "Sly Stone" Stewart
04. Jeff Lynne
05. Cat Stevens
06. George Michael
07. Gloria Estefan
08. Bryan Adams
09. Madonna
10. David Gates
11. Vince Gill
12. Shawn "Jay Z" Carter
13. Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds
14. Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis
15. Dan Penn & Spooner Oldham
16. P.F. Sloan & Steve Barri
17. Randy Goodrum
18. Tony Macaulay
19. Max Martin
20. Kenny Nolan
21. Paul Overstreet
22. William "Mickey" Stevenson
23. Allee Willis
24. Maury Yeston

Views: 167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

THE 2008 SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME NOMINEES

http://www.songhall.org/vote/entry/495

Robert Lamm / James Pankow

Keyboardist Robert Lamm and trombonist James Pankow are founding members of Chicago-and remain with the trailblazing rock band, which formed in Chicago in 1967, to this day. The songs that they wrote for the group are among its most enduring and include such signature hits as “Color My World,” “Make Me Smile” and “Saturday In The Park.” Their enormously influential work helped pave the way for jazz-oriented rock. Key songs in the Lamm/Pankow catalog include “25 Or 6 To 4,” “Color My World,” “Saturday In The Park,” “Make Me Smile,” “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?,” “Wake Up Sunshine” and “Old Days.”

THE 2017 SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME NOMINEES

http://songhall.org/news/entry/songwriters_hall_of_fame_2017_nomine...

Peter Cetera, Robert Lamm & James Pankow (Chicago)

Singer-songwriter-instrumentalists Peter Cetera, Robert Lamm and James Pankow, either singly or in collaborations, were the chief songwriters of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band Chicago. Key songs credited to the trio include “Colour My World,” “Make Me Smile,” “Saturday in the Park,” “25 or 6 to 4,” “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?,” “Wishing You Were Here,” “Baby, What a Big Surprise” and “If You Leave Me Now.” Their enormously influential work helped pave the way for jazz-oriented rock. Key songs in the Chicago catalog include: * 25 Or 6 To 4 * Saturday In The Park * Colour My World * Baby, What A Big Surprise * Feelin’ Stronger Everyday.

There's one more chance for a Chicago/Peter Cetera reunion: The Songwriters Hall Of Fame induction ceremony. Even if they don't perform together, they will be in the same room at the same time. Chicago wouldn't be able to tell the Song Hall that they don't want Cetera performing separately from them, because unlike the Rock Hall inductees, the Song Hall inductees are being honoured for their individual songwriting achievements, both as members of a band and for their solo careers. In Chicago's case, only Robert Lamm, James Pankow, and Peter Cetera wrote enough songs to qualify for the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Robert Lamm, James Pankow, and Peter Cetera would be the only song hall inductees for Chicago, but the rest of the band would still perform with them at the induction ceremony. Chicago would probably not perform with their original drummer, Danny Seraphine, since this is an individual honor, not a band honor. Chicago would perform with their current drummer, Tris Imboden. Peter Cetera would perform separately from Chicago and invite Danny Seraphine to play drums for him. Chicago would perform Robert Lamm's Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? and Saturday In The Park, and James Pankow's Make Me Smile and Colour My World. Then Peter Cetera would come out with his own band, plus Danny Seraphine, and perform If You Leave Me Now, Baby What A Big Surprise, Hard To Say I'm Sorry, plus Glory Of Love from his solo career, without Danny Seraphine on drums. Peter Cetera can't perform 25 Or 6 To 4 because he didn't write it, and this is the Songwriters Hall of Fame. He would have to perform it with Chicago, but that won't happen. Actually, Danny Seraphine and Tris Imboden can both perform with Chicago, just like they did at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony.

As I understand it, they are nominated as members of Chicago, not for their solo work. However, I think Robert's entire catalog, in Chicago and solo, is worthy of any honor the Song Hall would like to bestow on him. Jimmy should be honored for his songs in Chicago and also because for so many songs for other writers in the band, his arrangements are major pieces of the song's melody, structure and integrity.

Songwriters Hall Of Fame Announces 2017 Inductees
http://songhall.org/news/entry/songwriters_hall_of_fame_announces_2...

01. Peter Cetera / Robert Lamm / James Pankow (Chicago)
02. Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds
03. Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis
04. Shawn “Jay Z” Carter
05. Max Martin
06. Berry Gordy

Robert Lamm, James Pankow & Peter Cetera p/k/a “Chicago” 
Singer-songwriter-instrumentalists Robert Lamm, James Pankow and Peter Cetera either singly or in collaborations, were the chief songwriters of supergroup Chicago. Their enormously influential work helped pave the way for jazz-oriented rock. 

Robert Lamm has been with Chicago since the beginning.  Chicago’s first album Chicago Transit Authority contained seven of his songs, “Beginnings,” “Poem 58,” “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?,” “Questions 67 & 68,” “Listen,” “South California Purples,” and “Someday.” He continued writing for the band, throughout the 70’s and 80’s with hits, “25 or 6 to 4,” “Wake Up Sunshine,” “Dialogue,” “Saturday in the Park,” “Another Rainy Day in NYC,” and “Getaway.” 

James Pankow, trombonist, arranger and composer, is also one of the bands founding members.  As the band’s principal arranger, he created the trademark signature style of Chicago’s horns and composed many of their songs, including the hits “Make Me Smile”, “Colour My World,” “Just You ‘N’ Me,” “Searchin’ So Long,” “Old Days,” “Feelin’ Stronger Every Day” and “Alive Again.” One of his most acclaimed pieces is “Ballet For A Girl In Buchannon,” which he wrote when he was 22-years-old. The band was constantly on the road and Pankow became drawn to Bach, whose technical perfection and melodic genius inspired him immeasurably. He began experimenting with arpeggios and the result was a key moment in the ballad, “Colour My World.” 

Peter Cetera, singer, songwriter and bassist was a member of Chicago from 1967-1985 and the last original member to join the band. During his tenure with the band he wrote hits such as “If You Leave Me Now,” (his first major hit with the band, which appeared on the band’s tenth album) and garnered the band’s first Grammy Award. The platinum-certified hit was number one worldwide. Other notable songs were “Wishing You Were Here,” “Happy Man,” and “Baby, What A Big Surprise.” In 1982 he co-wrote “Hard to Say I’m Sorry,” which reached number one on the charts and was certified Gold, as well as “Love Me Tomorrow.” In 1984 Chicago 17 became the band’s most successful selling album, eventually going on to sell over six million copies in the United States alone. Its four singles, which charted in the top 20, were sung by Cetera, including three that he co-wrote, “Stay the Night,” “You’re the Inspiration,” and “Along Comes a Woman.” 

Pankow and Lamm have gone on as Chicago members and have continued to release albums into the 2000’s. Lamm is a prolific composer, with seven solo albums, and Cetera has had a successful solo career. 

Chicago’s lifetime achievements include two Grammy Awards (one is for Chicago’s first album, Chicago Transit Authority, which was inducted into the Grammy Hall Of Fame in 2014), multiple American Music Awards, a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2016. Record sales top the 100,000,000 mark, and include 21 Top 10 singles, 5 consecutive Number One albums, 11 Number One singles and 5 Gold singles. An incredible 25 of their 36 albums have been certified platinum, and the band has a total of 47 gold and platinum awards. Chicago are celebrating their 50th anniversary in 2017, and are working on Chicago XXXVII.

2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame inductees announced - CBS - VIDEO - NILE RODGERS ANNOUNCES
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/songwriters-hall-of-fame-2017-inductees...

The 2017 Songwriters Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony will be on Thursday, June 15th at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York City.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chicago-Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service